The first attempt at producing a history was made by Frank Lindley in the late 60’s as part of the ‘The Official Handbook’ The handbook was updated by Bob Abercromby (Secretary) in 1977 with another version of ‘The Official Handbook”. Another attempt was made for the centenary celebrations which were held in 1991. This written history took the form of a brochure. Several books of minutes were found in the loft space above the secretary’s office and a start has been made on transcribing them. A number of people have been interviewed.
A history of Corhampton Golf Course has been gathered from the Hampshire Records Office. Read a collection of news features from The Hampshire Chronicles, Hampshire Herald and Daily Echo by clicking on the links below:
- About Sir Edward Grimwood Mears
- Hampshire Chronicle Extracts – 1920, 1921, 1922
- Hampshire Chronicle Correspondence 1942 – The Ploughing Up of Corhampton Golf Course
- Hampshire Chronicle Letter from Sir Grimwood Mears 1942 – The Ploughing Up of Corhampton Golf Couse
- Hampshire Chronicle1989 – Members Fundraising 1989
- A Collections of news features in a Publicity Archive
|1891||Club registered with Royal & Ancient|
|1911||Mr Coffin appointed green keeper/professional|
|1919||Plane lands on the course|
|1929||Bunkers improved on the course|
|1932||Bert Dedman appointed green keeper/professional|
|1938||Ladies section affiliates with Ladies Golf Union|
|1950||Land bought from Windham Long Estate and Holding Company formed|
|1961||Alternate tees built to make 18 tees for nine holes|
|1965||Water laid on to the course|
Ron Crockford appointed greenkeeper/professional
|1967||Veterans’ Section formed (To become Senior Men’s Section 1995)|
|1968||Holding Company wound up Club now owns the land.|
|1973||The course extension to 18 holes is agreed.|
The club badge is designed.
|1975||New clubClubhouse house completed.|
Clubhouse opened by Bernard Hunt, British Ryder Cup Captain
The new 18 hole course opened officially by Club Captain George Davis.
|1978||The first Pro-Am tournament|
|1992||Four New Holes Built|
|2002||Spooners opened halfway|
Historic Golf Course Maps
1872 – The Rifle Range Before the Golf Course
1910 – Mrs Campbell Wyndeham Long’s Estate Shows Golf Course as Lot 36
View the Corhampton Golf Course Competitions and Trophy Winner Names on Honours Boards by visiting the Seniors, Mens, Ladies, Mixed and Junior sections of this website.